Friday, July 18, 2014

Testing before a release

The framework I am currently developing here at Computas supports different web application servers and different databases and we need to test them all. The framework provides demo applications that we manually test on each possible scenario before we can say it's ready. Also, we see that when building and running the software on different machines different things can happend from machine to machine. This is tedious work, clicking the same buttons over and over again.

I do not know much about testing yet, but we have been writing integration tests all the way through the project. We should probably have unit tests also, but we don't, at least not in the REST API where I am working. And I heard we have Selenium tests, which is automated GUI testing, but I have not seen them.

In the part of the API I have been implementing (with help from a colleauge in Romania) there was found a bug during testing by someone else. So I must go back and correct a bug, but that will be in the next release. We don't have the time to fix every bug we find - we just has to release. First we set a date for the release and now it is already overdue.

We have a new test leader but he just got employed so there has not been much changes yet to the testing procedures.

No comments:

Post a Comment